Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Vaccinate Your Pets, Please

It doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but it is killing me the number of puppies I am finding out have Parvo. Tyler got to come home from the hospital on Monday, and is finally running around the yard like a puppy should today. But Chipper, a border collie puppy we got from animal control on Sunday, turned up sick on Tuesday morning. Yep, another Parvo puppy. Today at animal control, a puppy was brought in that, to four of us, looked like it had been hit by a car. We sent it over to the vet's office. When we called to follow up, we were told it was the late stages of Parvo. I've never seen anything like it. It was so devasting. These two contractors had found this poor thing on the side of the road, picked it up and brought it to us. One guy was on his knees, looked me in the eye and said he was going to adopt that pup if it would make it. To me and the others, we were guessing she might have only a matter of hours. I'll find out in the morning.

And this brings me to my other gripe. Why can't people remember to give their pets monthly heartworm preventative? Cheyenne went in yesterday morning for her second round of treatments, and two other huskies still have to go in for their first. And have you tried explaining to them that the reason they have to be confined to a crate for four to six weeks is because someone wouldn't spend a few bucks to give them one pill a month? Let me tell you, they don't understand. Heck, I don't even know what to do with Mickey; he figured out how to open his crate two days ago and help himself to whatever activity suits him. I can see how much fun it is going to be when he starts his heartworm treatment in two weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear Tyler is doing well. I feel so bad for the other puppies that are sick right now.

LOL @ Mickey being able to open his crate!