Saturday, March 3, 2007

Doing Good is Actually "Hot"

Last year, I was named to the "REAL Hot 100" list, a list that served to show that women who work to make themselves and the world around them better are just as hot, if not more, than those selected on superficial values. I was flattered, but no where near as much as when I discovered, many months later, that a gentleman had posted about me on someone else's blog.

Apparently, one "journalist" believed that the list was skewed, as most of those select to the list were also found as physically "hot" as their actions.

... it seems like either:

a) pretty much only cute, conventionally attractive women become activists, journalists, poetry slam coordinators, etc., and the Real Hot 100 nominators are just working with what exists, or

b) there are plenty of non-cute non-conventionally attractive women out there who meet the criteria, but the leftysphere isn't nominating them.


I was even more astounded at one observation posted in a comment (#10):


As to the Hot 100 list, I must say that I barely made it through the first page so far, but my babe-o-meter only dinged 5 times, even including the blurbs attached to the photos. However, it went absolutely off the scale when I got down to Lisa Scarbrough.

The rest of them seem to be more about the progressive scene and awareness raising. Yet Lisa Scarbrough put her assets where her mouth is. And not for the standard causes, but for abused and neglected animals.

Now that’s REALLY hot! I wonder if she likes guys that can cook… I finally figured out the Insta-Chicken recipe, you know.


It wasn't that he called me hot, but that my work was validated. In the three years I've been divorced, it has been heartbreaking at how many times I would attempt to get to know someone, only to find that my passion was "intimidating" and not of interest to most. I was so happy, I printed it out and saved it for those rainy days that I needed a little lift.

But the entire blog post brought me to some serious thinking: is there anything really wrong with having a strong passion? I know that I am often asked why I do this with my life, why don't I work with children instead, why don't I just go start a family, who will ever be satisfied with being second in my life, and so on. I don't have one real good answer. All I know is that running this rescue has given meaning to my life. It makes me a whole person. I spent a couple of years lost, trying to find my place, figure what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. In that time, many strays found their way to my house, but it was really them who were showing me the way home.

4 comments:

Robert said...

Goodness, a blast from the past. Thanks for back-linking to our little site; come visit, we luv folks. Even hippie animal rescuers! ;)

There isn't a thing wrong with having a strong passion. Anyone who is intimidated or put off (other than perhaps some understandable minor social awkwardness - the kind we all have for any man or woman who is unconventional in their presentation) is, nine nines, someone with low self-esteem or low security. Their discomfort is with their own low level of performance (or self-image of their own performance) - not with you. So rescue those animals, and damn the yahoos.

Best wishes!

Off Colfax said...

Even hippie animal rescuers? ESPECIALLY hippie animal rescuers! Now be quiet, Robert, or I'll whack you on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

The fact that you keep something that I wrote as something to pick up a bad day and make things a bit brighter for you... That gives me a definite warm fuzzy feeling inside just hearing about that. So you're welcome and thank you.

Oh, and Lisa... That offer for dinner is still open. All we have to do is figure out when you'll be in Denver.

Robert said...

Don't do it, Lisa. He's a freak.

(Ow! Stop hitting me with the newspaper!)

(In today's lesson from the Internet, Lisa learns never to link to the sites of strange people.)

Anonymous said...

Robert:

Thanks for back-linking to our little site;

Not so little.

(Ow! Stop hiting me with the newspaper!)

Quit whining - you love it really, and you're only angling for a threesome.

I think the three of us should annex this thread and use it to go "Neena Neena" at our less observant cobloggers back at CD.