Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Question from the Sidelines

A question was posted about a week ago by a new CPR volunteer:
Is it difficult when the pet you fostered actually gets adopted out?


As the president of this organization, I'm charged to balance emotion with logic in our operations. However, there are times that I do get emotionally invested in our pets, and have been known to shed a tear or two when they go to their new homes. Since I take in so many special needs pets (heartworms, parvo, abuse, neglect, etc), I go through a rollercoaster with some of them, trying to get them healthy, get them socialized, overcome obstacles. It's not easy to go from holding a pet on an IV, wondering if they will make it through the night, to sending it to its new home, knowing it may be a very long time before you see it again.

I try to keep the mentality that for each one that is adopted, the space is opened to bring another into rescue. Which is probably why my house is always so full. But it makes it easier when the adoptive families send us photos and updates. It's reaffirming that we are doing good and indeed changing lives, one at a time.

No comments: