Thursday, March 1, 2007

Rescue Mobile Nearing End

When I started this rescue endeavor of mine, I was driving a little Mazda Protege with sunroof. After the third time transporting a Great Dane, his head and paws in my lap while the rest of his body tried to fit in the back seat, it was apparent I needed a larger vehicle. The process was humiliating; at two different dealers I was asked what my husband thought of my making a purchase (this mattered little as I got divorced soon after the final purchase). A salesman at the dealer where I bought my current car turned his nose up when I explained the need for the larger vehicle, telling me I would need $10,000 down in order to get decent payments. I was so flustered. By the good graces of a good friend, I got a meeting directly with a dealer/owner in Beaufort, and drove home with a used but usable Mitsubishi Montero Sport.

Affectionately called my puppy mobile, the Montero Sport has been a great vehicle. It has in floor and sidewall storage to keep all my rescue tools out of the way of curious pups, and allows me to be prepared for most any situation. (The pullouts for the in-floor storage can be used as stabilizing boards for an injured pet.) I've put over 50,000 miles on the vehicle in the name of pet rescue. It's been great, but now, it's starting to come undone.

In an attempt to make the transition to a full-time rescuer, I came up with a great idea to get the vehicle paid off, out of my name, and in full ownership of the rescue. However, in reviewing it with a business friend, we figured that the lifetime of the vehicle may only be two more years given all the wear and tear. Not to mention I now find myself having to restrict my traveling because of bad tires that I can't afford to have replaced at the moment. Needless to say, this put a huge crimp in my "great idea."

So, where to go from here? I'm terrified at the options. If something happens to this vehicle, I have no way to get to and from animal control with new rescues, attend vet appointments, deliver animals to their foster homes, and place animals for adoption. Not to mention that I can't fit our 10x10 tent, tables, equipment, and crates in my dad's little '90 Suzuki Samarai that he lets me borrow every time my vehicle has to go into the shop. It's not a bad little ride though; it will crank about every 8th to 10th time you turn the key, and the rust really ads a lot of character (my dad's car, not mine). And I've always wanted a convertible, so at least having Daddy's beach buggy let's me feel the fresh air I love so much (yes, I consider Savannah air "fresh" having spent too many years in Atlanta). And let's not forget I still have at least a year to pay off this essential rescue asset.

Ok, enough of the diatribe. I'm interested in solutions. Anyone got any?

No comments: