Thursday, March 22, 2007

Menu Foods Pet Food Recall

By now, everyone has heard about the Menu Foods Pet Food Recall. I'm slammed with messages everyday through our rescue newslists. I saw one today that their testing showed 1 in 6 deaths. My question is how does 1 in 6 get FDA approval? That seems to be way too small odds for me. I also noticed the number of high dollar brand names that are involved in the recall. I was thankful that the Purina products I buy were not listed, but not everyone else was so lucky. MSNBC.com is reporting that 16 pet deaths so far have been linked to the tainted products, but I would guess that number will rise in the coming days as vets may re-examine recent cases that they may have deemed the cause to be undetermined. Other articles are mentioning pets being extensively tested after having eaten the products. I can only assume that the number of lawsuits (which I've read to be three currently) against Menu Foods to increase, maybe even a class action.

No comments: