Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Microchips: Use as Directed

A few weeks ago, Savannah Toyota hosted a microchip clinic for us, whereby we chipped 73 pets. I've been an avid supporter of chipping for recovery, but also to eliminate needless deaths in animal shelters.

This week at the shelter, I was given the task of contacting the owner of a Rottweiler that had a HomeAgain microchip. I was given seven numbers to call; four were disconnected, two never returned the calls, and the other claimed he didn't own a "damn dog" and slammed the phone down. But at least we got to know his name. Thor is a big sweet baby boy. He loves women; he's a sucker for a belly rub and a good scratch behind his ears. The shelter supervisor and I have been plugging away to find a good home for him. He deserves as much.

It's just amazing that people would pay for permanent identification, but not understand that it only works as long as they keep their information current. Since Thor had ID, the shelter is giving him ten days instead of five, so that's good news for him. And, essentially, good news for me since I have a buddy to play with when the tough stuff hits.

No comments: