Wednesday, January 7, 2009

We Are Changing Lives

By now, most of you know what a bummer of a day I had yesterday. So my trip to check our post office today brought a little more sunshine to me.

I only get out there about twice a month to check it, so our mail sometimes accumulates. I've gotten used to not getting any donation checks but every few months. So imagine my surprise to get three today, two of which were from previous adopters.

In 2003, the first year Coastal Pet Rescue was official, I took a senior Cocker Spaniel in. Now, at this very moment, I'm having trouble remembering if I got her off the street or from someone, but I can remember she's one of the two dogs responsible for chewing up the foot board of my cherry oak bed which to this day still has not been repaired. I ended up adopting Honey to a young military couple. They vowed they would take her with them wherever they moved to. They did. I remember getting the email when she passed a year or so ago. So it was a surprise to open up my mailbox today and find a $50 donation and a letter with photos:

Lisa & Coastal Pet Rescue,

This holiday season we just wanted to thank you once again for rescuing Honey back in 2003. She brought us much joy while she was with us. Even though she has passed away we still love our Honey Bunny very much. This holiday we would like to make a small donation in memory of Honey Bunny. We know it's hard to find a loving home for older dogs like Honey so we hope that this will help support an older dog while he/she waits for their forever home.

Sincerely,

Aaron & Mandy


It's hard to believe that all these years later, this family is still thinking of us, but it really makes me feel so much better. I'm often criticized for taking animals that are older, have medical issues, or need a lot of care because "it takes away from animals that are perfectly healthy and will be euthanized." I got news for those folks: I've yet in nine years to take in a stray pet or one from animal control that was perfectly healthy. So you go about doing things your way, and I'll go about doing things mine. (Sorry, it's all the sugar from my M&M McFlurry talking.)

My next envelope was a $100 donation from an adopter two years ago. My sweet Deuce I could never, ever forget. We were in Garden City trying to trap a mom that had recently had puppies. Three of us had been working on this individually for a couple of weeks, and decided to try a teamwork approach. It was not a fabulous neighborhood, and people were anything but friendly but at least they weren't bothering us. We had canned food and slip leads and comfortable tennis shoes for the adventure as most of where we were may as well have been a protected jungle. About two hours after we were there, a yellow lab male found us. He was skinny, very skinny, and incredibly friendly. He followed us everywhere. I decided I could spare a can of food for him. He devoured it. I scratched his head and told him to go find his home, but he wouldn't leave us. Two hours later we decided it was time to pack it in. I opened up my truck door to put my supplies back, and there he was, trying to get in the truck. I have to say, it was a first. He was turning himself over for rescue. Wanting to do things the legal way, I decided I would turn him over to animal control and mark him to be pulled out in five days. Easier said then done.

On the thirty minute ride to animal control, this dog sat with his head my shoulder the entire way. They always seem to know a sucker when they find one. So when we finally arrived, I left him in the truck. It was a Sunday afternoon, only one person at the animal control shelter. I walked in and asked her, "Hypothetically, if I find a dog, can I just report it instead of turning it in to the shelter?" She laughed and said yes. I agreed he would not be put up for adoption for ten days, but I knew no one would come for him, and no one ever did.

I named my newest rescue Deuce. I'm sure I had a reason for it, but at this moment, I don't recall. I do remember that his first day home alone, he took down two of my blinds, knocked over my speakers, and drooled all over the front door (I can pinpoint damages in my home like most people can scars on their body). After that, we went to crating. He was already housebroken and as loyal as a lab could ever be. I was getting attached; this dog followed my every move, was incredibly well behaved, and got along well with Hannah and DaVinci. But I resolved that I would just wait until the right home came along. And it finally did. We drove Deuce to a lovely home on Distant Island, SC. He immediately took to the couple, making himself right at home. I couldn't blame him; they were on deep water, had windows all the way down the backside of the house so they could enjoy the view. When we walked outside and he got loose from the leash, he immediately ran to the husband to plead his case for adoption. It worked.

I still keep in touch with them and get regular updates. Many friends of their family sent us donations after the adoption to honor the memory of the lab they lost just prior to adopting Deuce. So to get their donation check with a sticky note that read "THANK YOU for finding him for us!!!" today was just a boost I needed.

No comments: