Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Just Another Night

Dear Mom,

People suck. I know you raised me to not use such language, and you sent me to parochial schools to have a stronger vocabulary. But tonight, I truly have no more words to use.

It was just another day. Go to work, run by vet's office to pick up a dog, run home, drop her off, head to a board meeting, then come home to finish up everything for our three-day event. Except that in the midst of all this, I had a phone call to take in eight five-week-old beagle puppies. Just what I need. But when I heard the story, there was no way I could say no.

The phone call came from Ryan, a young soldier who not only serves his country well but also gives free time to help out with the dogs. In true form, he starts out with, "I'm really sorry to bother ya, but I need your help." As it turns out, one of his soldiers woke up this morning, walked out the door, and found a cardboard box on his doorstep. He went to go throw it away... until he heard whimpers, and discovered eight young puppies. Keep in mind the weather was in the very, very low 20s last night, and all these puppies had to keep them warm was each other and a dirty, flea infested stuffed teddy bear the heartless jerk left with them.

So Ryan and I spent a couple of hours this evening bathing puppies, force feeding the runt some puppy milk, and working to keep them in the best condition possible until we can get to the vet in the am. The good news is, despite their being cast out for no fault of their own, they are still eager to held, to play, to be part of a loving family someday.

So sorry, Mom. I love you, and I will promise to do better, but people suck.

No comments: