Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lisa the Rescuer

I am very proud to say that I did watch history today. I enjoyed sharing the experience with my other friends on Facebook. But as I was just driving back home tonight, at yet another late hour due to rescue stuff, my mind drifted back to the whole Joe the Plumber thing. So it made me think about Lisa the Rescuer.

In just two weeks, I will be 30. Like most of my friends, I'm still figuring out where I'll go in life. I'm well educated, with three college degrees, but can't find a job to pay me my worth, or at least what I was told I would be worth with higher education. I have crap for health insurance, which I would love to cancel since they won't pay any of my medical bills but yet if I do cancel, no other company will insure me. What's the purpose of health insurance again? I struggle each month to pay the bills and have to make the choices of which can be a few days late over another. No, it's not the best way to live, but for most of my friends in similar situations, it's life. Just last week I tried to call one of my student loan holders to get a deferment because I couldn't make the payments. I was told it would be a $50 charge to apply for it. The payment was $65 a month. If I don't have the payment to make each month, how in the world would I have the funds for an application fee? What sense does that make? Do they know how hard it is to grocery shop on $20 a month? It's a darn good thing I learned to love peanut butter and honey sandwiches as a Girl Scout. Oh, wait, I can't buy peanut butter either because its contaminated now. I live in a house that is mostly cold because the walls and windows are paper thin, the roof leaks in places, and my shed has tarps on it since it is mostly rotted through but keeps our rescue supplies locked safely. (The floor is worthless, too, but that's partly the dogs' doing.) But for now, I at least still have a home. I find myself scrambling for odd jobs each month just to pick up a little more to make it by. Sometimes I do, others I don't. I know the consequences, but little choice exists.

President Obama has called for Americans to give more of themselves and give back to the community. Great idea, except how can people be expected to do that if they have to pick up multiple jobs to make ends meet? Or jobs with odd or long hours? We lost so many volunteers in the last year that had to relocate for a better job or take a second job. I myself would love to be able to quit my job if I could figure out how to make it by and do the rescue full time. It's my passion, and it does provide a great service to the community, but the reality is that community service doesn't keep the electricity on and the mortgage paid.

I recognize that there is no easy answer or quick fix. I just want to feel like those of us in our late 20s/early 30s that are still searching for our way will be considered just as much as the Joe the Plumbers or youths of America. I'm just hopeful there will be a voice to the President's ear for those of us in between.

No comments: