Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Zero Tolerance in Schools: Violence vs Skittles

It's no secret that Savannah Chatham County Public Schools have a problem with violence. It's not new, nor specific to Savannah/Chatham County public schools, and it's the reason my parents put me through 12 years of Catholic schools. I was happy to see that a zero tolerance policy was going to be started, but whether or not it makes a big difference we'll have to wait and see.

But this afternoon, I was stunned as I read of a school in Connecticut that had suspended an eighth grade honors student because he bought a bag of Skittles from a classmate. Apparently, "the New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide (sic) school wellness policy." Wow. I for one am an avid chocoholic, so I know I would probably be the first to be suspended for sneaking a bag of M&Ms. I guess it must be nice that the schools have such less to worry about than kids getting a sweet fix every so often.

No comments: