Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What You Don't See on TV

This morning, Trinity and I ventured to join the WJCL crew for their morning show. IT was Trin's first time out like this, and needless to say, it has been an adventure.

Our morning show appearances mean I start my day just before 4 am to be sure everyone is fed and ready for the day as I won't return home until the afternoon. I deliberately withheld food from Trin so she would not get carsick as her two sisters have done for every vet visit. I also discovered that the little sweetheart has no interest whatsoever for a leash, so I had to scrounge to find a harness her size, which makes it much easier to carry her when she refuses to walk.

The ride to the station was pretty uneventful. She sat in the back very quiet, pretty much unsure of what in the world was going on. I stopped at the convenience store for a Starbucks pick me up, and we were at the station by about 5:30. Normally, we wait in the lobby or newsroom, but we were ushered into the studio right at our arrival. Trin held on to the floor for dear life as I walked to the guest set. I was starting to worry that it wasn't going to be a good show for us.

Trinity is very much a lover and doled out kisses to anyone who would accept them this morning. Our time came for the first live shot, and as I expected, Trinity was very curious with everything going on and would not sit still. It always makes for fun live TV. We ended and I sat down on the floor with Trin. About 20 minutes later, during a live moment, she began hacking... I knew what was coming but couldn't move fast enough. Luckily, I had not fed her this morning so there was just liquid on the newsroom floor. I didn't want to cause a scene as Jessica was giving the headlines, but then Trin started again. I scooped her up and tried not to trip over all the wires as we rushed to the bathroom. I made it just in time... but this time, it was from Trin's other end... and man, did it smell! In the middle of trying to clean up, a knock on the door said "You'e on now," so I rushed to throw down paper towels until I could get back. I scooped her up and got back to the set, where Trinity decided she was finally comfortable enough to chill out for her TV shot. Two minutes later we were done, and I was back to the bathroom to finish cleaning. Trinity just watched, having obviously forgotten that this was a mess she had created. We returned to the set where she napped until our next shot.

So now we have an hour for us to rest before our next interview. I can only hope that the real fun for the day is over. But as I keep learning, there is just no telling what a puppy will do with live TV.

No comments: