Monday, March 17, 2008

7am Husky Chorus

It's one of those days... very late night, very early morning. I had spent all weekend doing landscape work to repair or rectify the previous landscaping by the dogs. Needless to say it was a lot of long hours and sore muscles salvaged only by three volunteers who gave up a few hours on Sunday to bathe 12 puppies.

This morning, I was to have the Harry Potter puppies at their spay appointments by 7:30 am. The alarm went off at 6, I hit snooze, then again, and then again. Next thing I know, it is 7:08 am. Not a good thing for me as I had to identify each puppy, load them in a carrier, then play Tetris to fit all 7 in the rescue mobile for a 30 minute ride.

By 7:28 we were all in the car and on our way with a beautiful sunrise to guide us. By nature, Huskies are talkers, but all I could do was smile and laugh as the chorus began. I turned the radio up to hear "You Raise Me Up" and on cue, the pups howled along. I had Minerva in the crate next to me, and I smiled as she stood perfectly, tilting her head all the way back to make sure the good Lord could hear her passion. All I could do was smile, remembering that just a few short weeks ago she was hooked up to an IV fighting an infection that threatened to end her life.

The chorus continued for the duration of the ride, almost always on key with whatever song played on the radio. For me, it was an affirmation for why I spend my life the way I do. What better thanks could I get than a 7 am puppy serenade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so lucky to have you in the community...and what better way to wake up in the morning than to sweet puppies? I miss the puppy days with my dumpster dog Vayda. If she wasn't such a diva, I'd have 5 more!