Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter Blessings: a Big Donation and a New Friend

Well, it's no secret that we've been struggling financially. We've had excessive veterinary bills for our pets with little in donations coming in. We actually had to stop all intakes for about a month to figure out what to do next. Then on March 12, one of our volunteers got a phone call that she won $5,000 from S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. for Coastal Pet Rescue. I was stunned; she was shaking as she was talking on the phone to me, and I was crying that our prayers had been answered. We were initially told it would be 60 days before we would see the check, but instead, the check arrived on Good Friday, and was it ever!

Well, that was until Hannah and Portia knocked me over... and sent me on a trip to urgent care where I found out I had a minor MCL tear (my buddy Kevin says MCL = Must Care a Lot about dogs). So here I am, Easter weekend, beautiful outside, and I'm on crutches. Ugh. But good news is that all the grass I planted two weeks ago is coming in, so I am slowly recovering all the landscaping from the dogs.

We made a new friend at WJCL last week as well. Anchor Jessica Kiss came out to Rancho Perro (Mutt Ranch) to visit with us on Saturday and see all our puppies. She's the first media person to take the time to find out what goes on behind the scenes at CPR. She wasn't scared when the dogs jumped on her, and even took time to interact with the pups in each kennel. She's a very genuine person, something you may not always believe to be possible with media personalities these days. So big hearted is she that on Monday, she called and asked me to be on the FOX News at 10 show and even offered me a ride there and back so I wouldn't stress my knee further. Talk about Southern hospitality, and even the gentlemen in the studio were so accommodating, pulling a chair down from the morning set to make it easier for me to get up, and offering me their arms to get up and down from the anchor desk. In a world that I'm so used to people showing me so little respect, it really touched my heart the little gestures to help make me comfortable.

No comments: