Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

This morning, I hugged my best friend goodbye as he set out on a 12-hour drive to start a new life in Cincinnati. For the last year and a half, he has been my shelter in the storm, holding me after bad days, cooking dinner for me when I needed a break, and always making me smile when I least felt I could. The greatest thing about him was I never had to ask for anything; he just knew and did it. He wasn't bothered by the dogs, in fact, he enjoyed coming over for "puppy love" after he learned "the process."

As I watched him drive off this morning, my heart completely sank. I've had just over a month to adjust to him leaving as he left February 1st but was back every two weeks. I had become accustomed to keeping a few dollar bills in the ashtray of the puppy mobile for picking him up at the airport. I don't have to do that anymore, and it saddens me. Not only do I now have to cook for myself, but who is going to play me at Rummy nights I don't want to talk or just want to forget about my day? What about the random text messages during the day to make me laugh when I probably shouldn't? I even miss my favorite blanket I snuggled in while we watched UFC (he watched, I napped).

We've made promises to see each other once a month, which is a bigger deal for me since I despise cold weather and that's all it's been since he left. But perhaps this will help me grow as a person, too. I have more time for working on my house and landscaping, though I believe I invented projects in the last month just to keep me busy. What I wouldn't give to have the transporter from Star Trek right now.

No comments: