Monday, April 23, 2007

The Respect of Others

I take great pride in the respect Coastal Pet Rescue receives from our community, but I was moved to tears this afternoon when I went to pay our vet bill.

I go in to Crossroad Animal Hospital on an almost-daily basis. The vets and staff know my face well. They see me in most unflattering looks, having just wrangled a dog, gotten myself tied up in a lead, covered in dirt paw prints, hair tangled from the ride over, baggy eyes from no sleep due to a new puppy arrival the day before, etc. They are always patient and understanding as we go through the routines: shots, dewormings, heartworm treatments, spays, kennel cough, coccidia, parvo. They see us through arrival and adoption, and even sometimes, through loss of life. But I was truely touched when I arrived today and was told they had set up a donation jar for us. It was a cute puppy bank that they had received from Bayer to use as they wish, and the clinic staff all voted to donate to us. Crossroad is always so giving to us with our needs, I was overwhelmed with their generosity.

This show of support comes after a wonderful email I received over the weekend. While in Atlanta, eWomenNetwork notfied me that I am a finalist for their International Femtor Emerging Leader of the Year award. While it is a great honor, I am more honored by the letters of recommendation I received from Coastal Pet Rescue volunteers. I know everyone's time is already maxed, but that several people chose to take some to do one on my behalf was extremely touching. So, I get to head to Dallas this June for the awards ceremony and naming of the winner. I'm looking forward to the trip, though this means I have to find a pet sitter again.

No comments: