Monday, April 9, 2007

Extreme Make-over: Home Edition - Puppy Style

I just love watching the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition every Sunday. A few years ago, I drew up the plans of what I hoped to build for the rescue after watching several episodes. Tonight, I decided to bathe Mickey before I went to bed, so he'd be clean for his stay at the vet the next few days for his heartworm treatment.

Let me start off by saying that Mickey is a wonderful dog. He's very good, usually, for me. He loves to be near me, have my attention. For this reason, I thought I could take on an under 40 pound husky on my own in the shower... I was wrong. He's lean, and determined. His fur really should probably be shaved down so new, healthier fur can grow, but instead, I went for a full shampoo. I used almost an entire bottle, as Husky fur is very thick. I underestimated that, despite him being lean, anything I put on him he could turn into bathroom decor... and he did. And the hallway. And the kitchen. The floors are now cleaner, too, since I had to wipe up all the shampoo paw prints and water he traced throughout the house.

The good news is that we finally came to an understanding and after thirty minutes of negotiating, got all the shampoo out of the fur. The bad news is his part of the negotiations did not allow for a blow drying, so instead, I had to put more towels down on the floor in the kitchen for him to dry himself. Ugh. But at least I'll feel less like the vet will want to call doggy DFACS on me tomorrow since he at least smells a little better. It's a darn good thing he can't talk though...

No comments: