Monday, February 11, 2008

Hey, Y'all, I'm a Celebrity!

On Thursday night, I wrote my feelings about the local TV coverage of the tragedy at Dixie Crystals Refinery. Apparently, my posting upset someone enough to repost it on SavannahNOW's blog:


Local Celebrity Lisa Scabrough President and Founder of Coastal Pet Rescue Slams WSAV for lack of coverage
Submitted by tessamartin98 on Sat, 2008-02-09 19:39. :: Islands

Don't these news channel support you and your cause when you are solicting for donations and award recognitions?

Not very nice coming from somebody I use to admire and look up too!



First, let me say how cool it is that someone called me a celebrity. Not a word I've ever considered for myself, but thanks just the same.

Second, as for the channels that support my cause, that's really not the point here. But, since it was brought up, let me say that no, WSAV has not supported my direct cause in quite some time. I attended a VIP lunch the day after the Top Ten Working Women in Savannah awards where they point blank stated they were taking a different direction with their news coverage and PR/community event coverage such as we had done time and time again with Lyndy Brannen was out the door (and shortly thereafter, so was Lyndy, but we got him back through WJCL). What they choose to cover is their decision. But, since they don't cover issues that I consider important, they don't get my viewership. No hard feelings, I just prefer to give my loyalty to those that share theirs. WTOC's Sonny Dixon and Jody Chapin have been a big help to us over the years, and WJCL actually came on as an official sponsor for us this past year. Despite our loyalty to them, I still acknowledge that WTOC had the better coverage for this major disaster.

As a member of what I consider a small community where you are only a degree and a half from knowing everyone else, I was sorely disappointed that WSAV didn't see this story as big as WTOC and WJCL/FOX. Three out of four stations dropped all network programming to be sure their audiences had the latest in information. They understand that Savannah is an "everyone knows someone" town and that this story affected everyone, whether directly or indirectly. So yes, I say give credit where credit is deserved, and it goes to those who show they care about our community.

And lastly, let me point out that my job is to promote my cause. I exist to make people question things and look at how they can change the world around them with simple steps and small commitments. If the fact that I wanted to make WSAV take a second look at how they view our community makes someone stop admiring me, then you really don't understand anything about the work I do.

No comments: