Monday, November 19, 2007

Ms. CPR Goes to Boot Camp

Believe it or not, I finally decided that chasing dogs around day in and day out was not enough exercise. I met a wonderful woman recently at an eWomenNetwork coffee, and she put me in touch with her husband that is a personal trainer. We spoke on the phone for about a good thirty minutes of what I wanted to achieve and the best way to get results. He suggested I try his boot camp out at J.F. Gregory Park in Richmond Hill. Since I am very gym-phobic and lack any self discipline on my own, I thought this would be a great fit, especially since I was in athletics up through college.

Well, there was no slacking tonight. I lost count of the number of laps around the park he had me jog. I couldn't feel my legs. Then we did a lot more exercises, which reminded me of my soccer coach back at Andrew. Every part of me felt on fire. I forgot just how many muscles I had. But it wasn't just Derek's instruction and constant mention that I had "good hips" to tolerate the exercises. It was the feeling of being part of a team again. It was a small group, 10 of us I think (I still feel rather blurred from the hour), but I quickly connected with a National Guard Recruiter. Seems we have similar physical backgrounds, and sense of humor. At one point in class he said he was there because his wife called him fat, and she's pregnant.

I wasn't sure I was prepared for an exercise commitment again. But I can honestly say I'm looking forward to seeing Derek again on Wednesday, when he'll get to do my actual measurements, yikes! But I'm looking forward to the day I can look in the mirror and feel confident about my appearance for now.

No comments: