Wednesday, February 4, 2009

There's Just Something about Savannah

To anyone who hasn't lived here, it's hard to explain, sometimes, the reasons so many people never leave. I left for a couple of years of college, and ended up right back. I often thought of moving down to Florida (would always be south or west, never north), but never did. But my lunchtime today is a big reason why.

It's cold today. No doubt about it. I hate cold, that's why I live here. All I have thought about since I got to work is hot cocoa (which I grabbed at McDonald's after fueling up this morning) and hot food. I saw someone mention chili on Facebook, and of course, now I wanted some. I usually head to Wendy's. The chili is good, but most of all, fits my budget. I thought it might be nice to have an alternative, so I called Bunny to see what Cha-Bella had soup-wise. I wasn't 100% that's what I wanted, but why not give the place a chance, after all, they are hosting my fabulous birthday suaree this Sunday (6 to 8 pm, Trainwrecks go on at 7 pm, in case you missed the event notification).

I arrived at Cha-Bella and was immediately greeted with a hug, not from Bunny but Susie, the young blond who had often been my server at New South Cafe, back when they were conveniently located near my office. I just adore Susie. I always tried to sit at her tables if I ever took anyone there. She always has a smile, speaks well, gets the orders right, and takes excellent care of her tables. So seeing her just made the lunch all the more special.

Bunny came to greet me, and without missing a beat, asked me for a media contact. Apparently, Cha-Bella was going to be hosting 30 students for Junior Achievement this afternoon, but nothing was sent out to the media. I whipped out my cell phone like I was Inspector Gadget and clicked the speed dial to WJCL. Britt Middleton answered the phone. I identified myself and got a very warm greeting. I explained what was going on, then handed the phone to Bunny. She handed it back, Britt thanked me for the heads up and hung up. I've only done a couple stories with her, but she talked to me as if we were old friends. I just love that feeling. Plus, it's kinda cool to think I have connections to help someone who has helped me out so much. I often feel like low lady on the totem pole, always asking for help for the puppers (and kitters, too).

I followed Bunny to her office and spent my lunch with her, catching up like good girlfriends do, talking about my birthday party and getting older. She got a phone call as well, from another person I knew pretty well. It was a surprise to him, so she ended up handing me her cell phone so I could catch up a little bit. I don't know if they ever had the conversation he intended as she had to run to finish a catering proposal.

The time finally came for me to return to work. But of course, as we were leaving, we saw another friend by the fire. We walked over, and Brian greeted me with a kiss on the a cheek, and a hug, wishing me a happy birthday. That just made my day! Of course, he asked about the puppies (kitties are implied, though I never have them at my house) as well, as it is only polite since that is how everyone knows me.

I said my goodbyes and skipped the five blocks to my truck. It was cold, but I was surrounded in warm wishes from good friends. And that, folks, is why I keep living in Savannah.

No comments: