Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Think I'm Related to Murphy

I left work today right at 5:00 pm. It is now 10:21 pm, and I'm just now sitting down to catch a breath. I had planned to be home hours ago, but as we all know, seldom do things in Lisa Land go according to plan.

I arrived home at 5:25, just in time to greet Sara, my Wednesday evening ranch hand. It has been so great having ranch hands for the last month. I'm actually in bed before midnight most nights as opposed to 2 am. We walked in the house and it hit me: I forgot to pick up Herbie from the vet on the way home. So back out I went. I arrived at the vet, luckily only a couple miles away, only to remember I was having a returned dog dropped off between 5:30 and 6. I shrugged and figured Sara would call me if there was a problem.

We left the vet almost right at six, along with some new meds for my vocally-endowed Poodle, who I might add has been here at the ranch since July 7th. We pulled in the drive just as soon as the other drop off. I ran inside, put Herbie up, ran out, grabbed Moo, found an empty kennel, and then set about packing the truck to relocate two foster pets to new foster homes. At 6:40 we were on the road to Hinesville. We made good time, leaving at just 7:15 to head to the other foster home on Isle of Hope.

I just about nailed my time frame at 8:15. Still not as good as our bus driver to Atlanta last week, but pretty darn good for me. I pulled into the driveway, got out of the truck, and heard a hissing sound. I wasn't sure exactly where it was coming from, so I went and got the dog out of her travel kennel and set to introduce her to her new foster brother. In doing so, I walked right past my truck again, and it hit me: my tire was going flat.

It's now 36 degrees, almost 8:30 at night. But luckily, I was at someone's home. I called Geico roadside assistance. I feel like I should know the voices on the other line by first name as often as I seem to call them. I relayed the problem, agreed that yes, I've had some bad luck with tires the last few months, and waited for Gordon's to arrive in 30 minutes or less (would have been great if they had a deal with Domino's as I was still hungry but now worried about my truck). We went inside to do the foster paperwork and see how the pups got along. About 9 pm, the tow truck showed up. I unlocked the cap from inside the car for him to access the spare tire. I stood shivering, but not balking as I've done this at least a dozen times before. He laughed and told me to go inside, he'd knock when it was ready. About 9:30, we heard a noise. I looked out the window to see the tow truck... driving off. I went outside, and sure enough, he drove around the block then off the isle. Well, at least my spare (which is a full size) was on the truck. Oh wait, the spare was also flat. Nice. I said my goodbyes to the pups and foster mom and limped on down to the BP. I found three quarters, shoved them in the air provider, then proceeded to bear through the chilly winds and inflate the tire, knowing that I was still a good half hour away from home.

I got in the truck, shook my head, and called Cat. Probably the only other person I know who is still up at this hour and could help me find some amusement in the evening. I was driving down Middleground when she realized I still wasn't home yet. It was almost 10 pm. I still had to get home, get another crate out of the shed and set it up to bring in the extra hounds that normally sleep outdoors. I already had a litter of puppies in the bathroom, and crates stacked in the kitchen. The last place left was the living room, which I had just reclaimed two days ago for the first time in about five months. Well, I don't really use the couches anyways, especially since one is broken in the middle.

So here I am, reflecting in my last moments of my 20s, drinking a Coke, and remembering that I have to be up at 5 am to do a 6:30 am appearance on WJCL's morning show. I think dinner is a lost cause at this point; maybe there will be better luck with breakfast.

No comments: