Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Community Service: It Runs in the Family

Most of you Tybee folks know my dad pretty well. For the rest of you, here's a small tale about Capt. Mike.

Growing up on Tybee, I was always known as "Mike's Daughter." It's something that I didn't really mind, but as I got older and traveled outside of the area, became quite a little quirk, and sometimes irritating that people couldn't remember my four-letter first name.

I chose to go to college six hours away from Savannah as I wanted my independence and to find myself. One weekend, I went on a camping trip to Cumberland Island. I had been gone for about six months at that point. On the ferry from St. Mary's over ot the island, I sat next to a guy who kept looking at me rather strangely. Finally, he asked where I was from. I said Tybee Island. Next question: "Are you Mike's daughter?" And I cannot count the number of times that has happened to me over the years, even once in an elevator in New York.

So why is my dad so well known? Well, the answer has changed a little bit over the years. He was originally known for being a troublemaker on Tybee, all because we were outsiders coming to start a business and increase tourism on Tybee. For the most part, that's water under the bridge. But my dad has always believed in giving back to the community. It's part of being raised a Catholic, something he instilled in me as a very young child. At Lent and Advent I was taught to save my change to give to children's charities. Mom and Dad would always match whatever I saved, making sure I knew they weren't just talk. I also worked in a soup kitchen, did other activities with the Girl Scouts, and later coached soccer for the YMCA as my dad had done for my brother, my sister, and me.

Once we moved permanently to Tybee, Daddy got involved with the Tybee Beautification Association, which meant I would, too - even if it did lead to my getting eaten alive by fire ants to discover I was actually allergic to them and had to have a note from my doctor to allow me to wear pants to school to cover my badly eaten legs. (From then on out, I always opted for the back river assignments instead of the dunes.) From there, he partnered with the county to take out underprivileged youth on our dolphin tours (he was even named Chatham County Citizen of the Year for that). Years later, Daddy got involved with the Shriners. He's always loved working with kids, and he's always believed in helping them as much as he can. He loves being able to tell the stories about the kids they are helping. In fact, I have a young cousin who is currently going through one of the Shrine's hospitals up north. Daddy keeps good tabs on her.

But yesterday, I got a surge of pride during my Leadership Savannah visit to the Savannah Impact Program (SIP). I never knew anything about this program. I had seen the building as I passed it on Drayton, but never thought much about it. Yesterday, I learned that one of their programs is to take in juvenile offenders and try to change their lives around. One of the ways is through a summer enrichment program. I was impressed with the presentation, and had made a mental note to talk to the guy afterward about having him meet up with my dad since we used to work with these programs regularly. But apparently, there was no need. A few moments later, I got to hear about how much wonderful support they get from Capt. Mike out on Tybee. A few laughs went up in the room, and I proudly raised my hand to say I was Mike's daughter.

I admit, I like that I have a name for myself now, and I chuckle to hear my mom tell me stories of him being asked if he's Lisa's dad. (Mom did make a comment last night about how "Poor ole mom is just in the background." We'll have to work on that I guess.) But times like that, I'm more than happy to sit back, and smile, and know that I am my father's daughter.

No comments: