Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Please Understand, I'm Just a Volunteer

Apparently, it's a state secret that I don't get paid for my work with Coastal Pet Rescue. Well, it's true. I'm just a volunteer. Granted, I put in around 80 hours a week, but I do work a full-time job, Monday through Friday, 9 to 5 as well. But that doesn't stop my phone from blowing up or emails piling up with people demanding a response and getting irritated when I don't reply immediately.

Take today for instance. I was unavailable all day for Leadership Savannah. I tried to handle things as best I could via text message, but that wasn't enough. I actually had several irate voicemails on my phone for not calling people back immediately. I forwarded messages to our vice president who stepped in for me as best she could. But it was frustrating to say the least.

Even as a volunteer, I'm on call pretty much 24/7. That really puts a crimp in my social life, if I had one. My cell phone is pretty much an electronic leash. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, but with the good comes a lot of emotional heartache, much of which I'm forced to keep to myself in order to keep people calm and situations under control. But it doesn't mean I don't feel hurt. Just ask my vet how badly I feel, or how many times they have left me in a room to cry by myself. A long time ago, I had a teddy bear, Homer, that I cried into anytime something happened. Days like today I miss having him, but he pretty much "died" when I was 24 after soaking my tears since 5th grade.

Yes, this is the life I chose for myself, I get that. I just wish people could have a little patience and understand that I don't have all the answers, I can't solve every single problem; I'm just a volunteer.

No comments: