Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Why I Have No Faith in Doctors

I've long not been a fan of doctors, but in recent years, I've become even less and less enchanted with them. I'm not uninsured. I have insurance, I just can't ever use it. Why? Because no doctors are ever available.

For two years now I have been unable to get an appointment with the woman who is supposed to be my GP. If I'm sick and call, I have to wait two weeks for them to work me in, and that's only if I get the right key combination through their automated answering service. Earlier this year, they changed phone numbers and moved. Did I get a notice? Nope. I had to do a Google search, and finally on page 7 of the search results came up with the right number. I decided to try this morning one last time to get in to see this woman. So I called the number and entered what would be the magic combination to get a human to answer. I waited and waited and waited some more before being addressed very curtly by the "operator." I told her I was a current patient, which would have been true if they would have granted any of my appointments in the last two years, but that I needed to be seen this week. I told her what for and that I needed to get shots (a couple of things you should have when working with animals as much as I do) only to be told that they don't do immunizations in their office. Then she hung up on me. Back to the drawing board.

I finally found my insurance card and decided to check online for approved providers. I pulled out three names and called. One doctor said they were accepting new patients but didn't have appointments available for them until January. Two others I got lost in their automated menus and gave up.

I guess I could go to the immediate med place, except that once I'm there, I have to pay a much higher co-pay which leaves me nothing to get whatever meds I might need after the visit and then have to pay another bill a month later when I discover my insurance didn't cover everything. But I will say that on my various trips to them, I've always had exceptional customer service with the nurses and doctors in attendance. So kudos to them.

So it seems to me I have a different health care crisis to deal with. I have insurance, but can't use it because no doctors are available. So why do I even have it? It's taking a huge chunk of my paycheck every month for absolutely nothing. I would be better served putting that money towards my student loans or house payment.

No comments: