Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Angels Among Us

Years back, Alabama came out with a beautiful song titled "Angels Among Us." Having lost all my grandparents in my teen years, I often clung to that song and the belief that my grandparents were still with me, helping guide me through some of the rough times.

More recently, that song has come back to mind as I've discovered helping hands around me. I realized it mostly tonight after a long conversation with my mom. She finally admitted that she has been worried about me, primarily that I don't take enough time for myself. I admitted to her that it hasn't been easy, but that I've never been happier. Yes, cleaning up kennels and poop, feeding and medicating muliple dogs everyday is a lot of work, and I don't always like the 5 am wake up calls (4 am on media days), but it is the life I have chosen for myself and not one I'm looking to give up.

So during our conversation, I reassured her that it was ok, things were starting to look better. Last week, a Sarah Wright of Right Touch Cleaning donated her cleaning services. What a treat it was to walk in from work (yes, I work a real job) and smell a clean house and be able to see the counters. I was actually able to walk from the front door to the dog area without tripping over food boxes, leashes or whatever event materials I was too tired to put away. I've never had a cleaning service before, but I tell you, when I win the lottery, I will definitely have Sarah back!

Yesterday, my surrogate big sister and I attended a workshop in Charleston. We are now certified disaster response volunteers for United Animal Nation. But since our instructor was so amazing and got us out of the workshop two hours early, big sis suggested we hang out and enjoy the town a little bit. We had sitters for the pups, and we never get to just hang out together anymore because of so many commitments. So we took to the marketplace, browsing here and there. Big Sis indulged my Parrothead pilgrimage through Margaritaville, and I kept my hands to myself as we went into all the finer places she loves to shop. We attempted to have dinner at a 4th generation family-owned seafood place, but after not getting any service, we headed down to Bubba Gumps and had fabulous service. But the best part of the whole trip was the ride up and back, reconnecting as "sisters," talking about our thoughts and frustrations and just getting close again. She's been my cheerleader for the last year and a half, seeing me through challenges and lifting me up when I needed the boost. It felt great to be able to spend time with her again.

But today, I welcomed 21 angels to the ranch. A local Junior Girl Scout troop came out to volunteer their time towards the earning of their Bronze Award. A former Girl Scout myself (and Silver Award holder), I was more than happy to have them visit with us. The girls were not afraid of anything; they got down and dirty, taking on a job that I normally have to do on my own. But what astounded me was as they finished, they kept coming to ask me what more they could do. The ended up bathing all the dogs, which I always see as such a chore but they found incredibly delightful, actually fussing to get time with the suds and water. I watched these 9 and 10-year-olds show such pride in their work and find such joy in helping animals. It really gives me hope that the future will be much better for animal welfare.

I had one more angel join me today. My buddy Gary from Daniel Lumber came back out to help repair the chainlink a few dogs had torn apart. Gary has been an angel to me since January when we met at the Home and Garden Expo. He came out and realized what was going on out here and how little space I had for myself. He gave up two vacation days of his own to put in a divinging fence and give me a little outdoor space to relax. I honestly was taken aback by his selflessness as it is not something I've seen much of in this work.

I don't think it takes an extraordinary act to make someone an angel. Often times, it's the little things someone gives of themselves that make the biggest difference.

No comments: