Friday, October 24, 2008

The State of Our Education System

Let me preface this by saying this has nothing (well, very little) to do with animal rescue, but something that has been on my mind quite a bit in recent months.

I've been reading message boards lately. It seems discipline is a huge issue in our schools. I would agree. I grew up deathly afraid of my parents, grandparents, nuns at my schools, and of course, God. Growing up on Tybee was even worse. If I did anything outside the home, there was no hesitation to tell my parents. I remember running a yellow light on my way home from soccer practice and being scolded later that evening because someone told my mom.

Each year, I conduct humane education programs at various elementary and middle schools in our area. Having spent 12 years in Catholic schools throughout childhood, I am still surprised at the major differences I see when I enter a classroom.

There is a great debate on a message board about paddling in schools. I'm of the mindset that the schools do not exist to discipline, that is a parent's job. However, from what I've seen firsthand in some of the classrooms I've visited, quite a few parents are failing at their job. It's no wonder there is a high turnover rate for teaching positions. I know there is no way I could ever be at most of these schools every day. It's hard enough to tolerate for an hour at a time sometimes.

Two years ago, I attended career day at Largo Tibet Elementary. The first class I spoke with was exceptional, but it went down from there. By the fourth class, students were telling me stories about how their dads or older brothers beat their dogs to train them or how they have puppies for sale regularly. I was so shell-shocked when I left the classroom, especially since the teacher just sat in the back grading papers, apparently thankful to have a babysitter. One of our adoption coordinators was a guidance counselor there at the time and I had to just sit in her office a few minutes to recover.

But then there are other schools that I visit that are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I remember the first time I visited with Jacob G. Smith Elementary School nearly four years ago. I walked in with a dog and rather than screams and kids clambering about while a teacher shouted for control, every child remained in their desk and waited politely for their turn to meet my companion. I visit at this school at least once a year and with various grades. It's one of my favorites places to teach each year.

So why are there such differences between these schools if they are run by the same system and have the same hiring practices for educators and staff? I maintain that the problem starts at home. We can't expect teachers to be educators and parents. Yes, I had several teachers growing up that helped shape me into the young woman I am today. They challenged me, or gave encouraging thoughts, or did something to help push me forward and make something of myself. But it was never their job to be my disciplinarian or psychologist.

I honestly don't know the solution to the problem. We argued it a good long while at our Leadership Savannah retreat a few weeks ago. Everyone seems to have their own ideas. I guess we just sit back and hope one day that someone figures out something.

No comments: