Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cora's Big Day Out & Hope's Major Milestone

On Saturday, Cora and I met up with a friend of mine and his dog Jake, a purebreed Blue Heeler, to check out some pet-friendly places out on Tybee Island. This was Cora's first big outing, and her last for awhile as she was admitted to the vet's office this morning to start her heartworm treatment. What was amazing to me was to see just how much this dog had attached herself to me, her rescuer. At one point, I left Cora alone with my buddy and Jake in the small dog park while I ran back to the car to get something. Not even a minute later, Cora was right on my heels. We haven't figured out if she jumped the fence or ran under it (it's not secure at all), but as soon as I turned around she jumped up at me as if to say "Why did you leave me?" And the rest of the day, I made sure never to be out of her sight. But I found out just what a velcro dog she is when we went to dinner at The Crab Shack. I got up to wash my hands, maybe 10 feet from our table, still in eye sight, and be darned if she didn't come right after me, dragging my chair behind her! We finished the day with doggy ice cream at Sonic, and the little darling slept all the way home, sitting in my front seat with her paws stretched across the console on to my legs.








Over the last few weeks, I've been working with Hope to slowly get her used to other dogs. Having lived her life on a chain, she is very defensive when they come near her. A few days ago, she was out in the small yard with Hannah and seemed fine, not a single growl. Today after I got home and let all the dogs out for playtime, Hope ran to the door and started scratching to go out as well. Normally, she hangs out in the office with me, cuddled with her favorite stuffed animal. I was like a nervous mom watching her child go off on her first day of school. I opened the gate and let Hope out, nervous about what might happen, if the other dogs would be nice. She pranced all around the yard, jumped around the empty pool, over one of the dog houses, and behind each of the pens. She stayed out for about an hour, no incidents. I came back out to check on her and she was at the gate, waiting to come back in the house. She just found a place and curled up, ignoring the other dogs. I feel like we've hit a major milestone with her, and I couldn't be prouder!

It's watching dogs like Cora and Hope that remind me just what patience can do for a pet. Just giving a little of your time and love here and there really can change their lives.

No comments: