Friday, November 21, 2008

The Quest for New Jeans

Ok, so the word is out... I have lost 31 pounds since May 19th. I've gotten lots of compliments, mostly in the form of "wow, look at you." Ok yes, I know I was heavier the last two years than most people have ever known me to be in my life. But I ate my feelings, then the dogs ran it all off. So back to the jeans thing...

I have exactly one pair of jeans that fit me properly. They are left over from my college days and somehow missed the Goodwill transport two years ago. I feel great when I can wear them. The problem is I usually have to change clothes at least twice a day thanks to the pups. The other jeans I have are very loose and let's face it, I'm looking to strut the weight loss a little. Since I had a little down time tonight, I took myself to Savannah Mall, thinking I'd find something to make me feel great. What I found was frustration.

I hate clothes shopping. There are too many choices, and I never know if I'm really getting something that is in style. I much prefer comfort, just as my flip flops, shorts and tank tops, but that's not working for me with this weather right now. I don't remember the last time I went shopping for jeans, but I was incredibly frustrated tonight. Most were "low rise" and "boot cut" or "flare leg," none of which made me feel good. In fact, I was either worried about showing plumber's crack or tripping over my pants. Then there were all the different wash types and the instructions that some of the jeans would have to be washed separately before wearing. Again, this is not helping me to keep a simple and comfortable lifestyle if I have to wash one pair of jeans by themselves. I went through six stores and did not find a single pair I liked. I don't understand the trends today. Perhaps that is a sign that I'm getting older.

All the shopping and trying on clothes made me hungry, so I headed to the food court. I bounced back and forth trying to decide what would satisfy my palate. I ended up at Chik-Fil-A with a #1 combo. I found a seat a little hidden by the plants where I could watch the Hawks game without too many people looking at me like a loser, eating alone in the food court on a Friday night. But truth be told, I love doing that kind of thing. Usually, I'm at Barnes and Noble for a couple hours. I just love books, and since most people in there are fellow geeks and nerds as well, I never feel bad hanging out alone there. But for whatever reason, I really just don't care that I eat out alone so often. I don't have to worry about someone else thinking I'm a pig if I eat my dessert first or if I only order dessert at all. Of course, if I want to keep fitting into a size six jeans I'm going to have to learn to curb my fast food cravings. If nothing else, I can keep doing laps around the mall to work it all off.

So what was the point of this blog? Who knows. It's been a long couple of weeks, I have 12 dogs sleeping in my kitchen because of the cold, and I'm alone for the holidays again. Maybe Santa will bring me a personal shopper this year or better yet, the winning lottery numbers so I can move somewhere that I won't have to wear jeans ever again.

No comments: