Friday, August 22, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay Brings More than Just Wind and Rain to CPR

It seems like it has been forever since I've seen the sunshine. For me, that's devastating. I love being outdoors, and lately, I've been spending more of it back home on Tybee. But alas, it is hurricane season and Fay had to bring all she could to our area, which means my home has been filled with dogs frustrated because they can't go outside and play and the smell of wet puppy for the times I drag them out to go potty.

So today, I worked from home. I made an attempt to watch Transformers on HBO, but it kept getting interrupted by all the tornado warnings. Then around 2, my email popped open with a photo of a puppy... taken by one of our board members at animal control. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't the puppy she had gone there to see. After two phone calls, arrangements were made for her and another officer to bring over four new pups to our program. It's still pouring sheets of rain outside, but luckily enough another volunteer came over to prep the house for the new intakes: one matted adult poodle in desperate need of a good bath, one 10 week old black lab puppy, one five month old flat coated retriever puppy, and one dog with a busted leg. What a halfway house this has become.

A few hours later, everyone is settled, I'm finally out of my PJs (was sporting the lazy look today), showered and headed over for a home-cooked meal since Wendy owed me for the new intakes. Wouldn't you know it, on my way over, I spotted three dogs scrounging for food at the dump yard. It's still raining, and I feel awful for them, even though I knew they wouldn't come to me if I stopped. But I just couldn't keep driving. I turned around, pulled over and grabbed my cans of food out of the back of the truck. Two dogs ran off, but one little girl waddled over to me, tail down but wagging a little. She stopped just a foot in front of me, head down. I held out the can of food, which she tried to take and run. I kept ahold of it, stroking her head and telling her what a nice girl she was. Her body changed... stood up completely, and her tail started wagging as a happy dog should. It was then I noticed her belly... and had to figure out what in the world I would do with a pregnant dog at home. I stood up to look in the truck for a slip lead, but before I could, she ran across the street after one of the other dogs. My heart nearly stopped as she was almost hit by a car. I called to her, begged her to stay put, but she just kept running off. I got in the truck and followed her, keeping a lookout for other traffic. I pulled off to a side road ahead of her, got out, and called to her again. She was wagging her tail but didn't want to leave her companion. He ran across the street again, and she after him. Not to be outdone, I stayed, trying to coax her back safely. Another car was coming, I called to her to stay put, as if she would really understand me. The car saw me and stopped, probably more afraid of what the crazy person in the rain sitting on the side of the road might do. I ran across and she just rolled over on her back, half in the road. I grabbed her and pulled her to me just as another car was coming from the same direction. I waited for traffic to clear, scooped her up and ran back across, putting her in the truck. I hadn't even bothered to notice that I had slipped and twisted my knee again, the same one I tore my MCL just a few short months ago. Maybe I'll remember next time that running across a busy street in the rain while wearing flip flops isn't the best idea.

We arrived back at the ranch and I got her settled in to an open kennel. I poured the remaining canned food into a dish and ran inside the house to get some fresh bedding. Before I got back, the food was gone, not even a drop left. I sat with her for a little while, reassuring her that she was safe and we'd take good care of her. She just kept wagging her tail and sat in my lap. I don't know if she really understands what is going on, but I know my heart is still pounding from the excitement. It's been awhile since I've gotten so hands on in the rescue work; usually, someone else just dumps them on my doorstep or calls to get them a ride. Even though I was soaked and covered in mud, I felt the best I've felt all week. And, I still made it to dinner afterall.

No comments: