Thursday, November 12, 2009

Turning a Pet Rescue Holiday Greeting Card into a Political Statement

It never ceases to amaze me how someone can look at something so simple and innocent and turn it into a political message.

I am originally from Austell, GA, but I always claim Tybee Island as my home. It's where I spent most of my childhood, learned the greater lessons of life, and became part of an amazing community. I was active as a volunteer for the Tybee Beautification and volunteered my time with the Tybee Island Lighthouse as well as Tybee Island Marine Science Center in high school. When I started Coastal Pet Rescue, it was no surprise that the first supporters were from Tybee. It's just the kind of community we have on the island.

Fast forward a few years. A local artist contacts me with a great fundraising idea for the holidays. We have been struggling hard because of the economy this year, and her idea helps us fill an need brought to us by a couple of other supporters as well. So Debbie Brady Robinson of Atlantic Beacon Gallery set out to create a holiday gift card that could be sold in sets of 10 with 50% of the profits going to Coastal Pet Rescue. The artwork features a sleeping kitty and puppy on the beach. Kitty is wearing sunglasses, puppy has a beach ball. It's a warm and fuzzy card, and something similar to what I buy each year myself.

image

So we sent out an email blast with the photo and link to the website for people to purchase the cards (only $10). An hour later, here's an email I get from a friend on Tybee Island:


Lisa, I’m simply forwarding this message to you as an FYI…..

From: email protected by my friend
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:31 PM
To: email removed to protect the messenger
Subject: Coastal Pet Rescue

"Did you notice Lisa's new slogan? I think she's making a major mistake to take on this political issue and could lose the support of many people. As you know I have dogs and am a dog advocate but am more concerned about health and safety of my children and other animals, our bird population, clean water quality & beach preservation than having my dogs be able to walk on a leash at the beach. I hate to see the new council having to deal with the issue of dogs on the beach issue once again, when they will already have huge hurdles to address as they take office."

I have three issues here:

1. This is a greeting card, not a slogan. Our slogan is "Changing Lives... One at a Time."

2. Why is kitty in the image allowed to be on the beach, but not the dog. Isn't that discrimination?

3. Where in the world would I find time to create a subliminal political message, especially when there are fewer than 30 members on our email list from Tybee Island?

While I am often proud to say I'm from Tybee, here is one of the times that it hurts me to say so. Our little island gets so consumed by politics. Right now, there's a movement to try and get city council to allow dogs on the beach as other beaches in Georgia do. I have not spoken publicly, on my blog or anywhere about my feelings for or against this movement. I personally do not take my dogs to the beach; it's just my personal preference. But I am all for anything that helps strengthen the animal-human bond, which this group of supporters seems to be trying to accomplish. (And kudos to the Dogs on the Beach organizer who has done a lot of research on regional beaches that do allow pets to have some facts backing up his movement rather than just personal preferences.) Since I no longer live on the island, I really have no vote, and will have to abide by whatever is decided, whether it be by council or by city vote. Hopefully, some sort of compromise can be reached to satisfy both sides.

I would be lying if I didn't say that losing support from Tybee Island residents for our great organization dedicated to helping homeless pets because we allowed a greeting card to be made featuring a kitten and puppy on the beach didn't leave me heartbroken. But if that is really their deciding factor, then that is a shame.

So, to the original writer of the email, I'm sorry you were so offended by the holiday cards, but I am not going to ask the artist to change them. We are so thrilled someone wants to help us provide food and veterinary care to the animals in our program and be part of the solution.

So to all the rest of you, go buy these cards! We need your support now more than ever!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I have since been informed that the original writer of the email lives on Wilmington Island instead of Tybee Island.