Sunday, November 15, 2009

NYC Day One

What a week this has been! First off, thanks to everyone who donated and joined us for the Yappy Hour Blue Jeans Ball last night. My understanding is that the total was right around $4500 for what was paid, and a few folks still owe us a bit so it should push us over $5000. I heard that Google gave the wrong address for the venue, so we lost some traffic (wonder if we can send them a bill).

I had a very early morning, arriving to Savannah International Airport at 5:30 am after having four hours of sleep. Most folks in line were quiet; it didn't take long to get checked in. I passed time playing on my new cell phone, though the Wi-Fi in the airport didn't work worth a lick (Phil says that's normal for Savannah).

We arrived to NY, and were actually over 20 minutes early. Our shuttle came, but we hadn't printed out the vouchers (just had the numbers on us), so the guy wouldn't take us. So we hopped in a cab, which I interpreted to be a filthy version of Disney's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The traffic was horrendous; I now understand what is really traffic. We arrived at our hotel... well, make that a hotel. Turns out, it was the wrong one. So off we go, hiking (thankful I wore my hiking boots after all) for about eight blocks. We arrive to find our rooms weren't ready. We leave the bags and head next door to a restaurant called Pigalle. I can't get over how loud it is in the restaurant for early Sunday afternoon. At least the weather was nice.

We retreated back to the rooms for afternoon movies and naps. Well, Phil worked in his room on our sites, and I took to learning new apps on my phone while catching up with my sweetheart. I would have liked to enjoy the view, but its just an old brick tower with broken out windows. Nothing fabulous to look at, though we are right next to the fire station, home of Ladder 4. Walking by there and seeing the memorial from 9/11 was humbling. I don't know if we'll make it to the site of the towers; I had been in them just nine months before, and still can't believe what happened.

We walked around until we spotted some place that claimed to have the "best pizza under the bridge." I normally don't care for thin crust pizza, but the double pepperoni with basil pizza at The Brooklyn Diner was outstanding! I was so full, I didn't even bother with ordering dessert (I know, that just doesn't sound right, does it?). I heard a song in the background, one that Austin plays that always makes my eyes water, so I sent him a quick text to tell him he was on my mind. I know this is a business trip, but I really wish he had been able to come along with me. I think we would have had fun exploring the city.

As it was, I had Phil, who knows my great love of chocolate, and in particular, peanut M&Ms. So he took me to my mecca... M&Ms World in Times Square. Three floors of every product imaginable. They even had M&M dispensers in every color imaginable and charged by the pound. It was hard to resist, but I did it. I wanted to get a souvenir, but I didn't see me wearing a T-shirt any other time, and although I'm wishing I had brought some with me since it is so much warmer than I thought, I don't really want to stand out as the tourist in my conference. So I walked out, and we went across the street to the Hershey store, which was quite the let down; only one floor compared to three at M&Ms World.

After a full evening, we headed back to the hotel to get some rest. After all, we do have to be in a worshop at 9 am, so we can't stay out too late tearing up the town. I will say I was amused to see a group of young men holding signs that said "Free Hugs" as well as Elmo, Mickey and Pooh on several street corners working for tips. I guess the recession has hit harder than we thought.

No comments: