Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reader's Polls May Not Always Be Accurate: Vanilla Day Spa

For Christmas, a foster parent couple surprised me with a $200 gift card to a day spa downtown, Vanilla Day Spa. It was such a huge gift from this couple, and filled my heart that they thought so much of me. Being the caretaker for many animals, I rarely get a chance to relax just for myself, and I was overly excited to have someone pamper me for a bit. I was very excited as I had heard this place had won several awards from local magazines, though I have never known anyone to personally use it. Sadly, that was not the experience I had today.

Earlier this week, I contacted the spa through its website about scheduling for a specific package that would use up the gift card in one trip. The spa director responded and gave me an appointment for today. According to the website information, I would be there for three hours, which meant I had to reschedule several items to be done and leave a key for our records manager to tend to filing without me. I thought allowing myself some down time after recent stressed weeks would be a great way to rejuvenate me for the coming chaotic month.

After spending 20 minutes trying to find a place to park, I finally made it into the day spa with a minute or two to spare before my appointment. The masseuse used his skills to the best of his abilities (and I tipped him very well for trying), however, due to all the noise outside the room from doors slamming, plates being dropped in the cafe, and people loudly talking and laughing, I could not even hear the music in the room. Needless to say, it was not as relaxing as I had hoped it would be.

The massage was over before long, and seemed shorter than I remembered the description being on the website for the package. Imagine my surprise when I was ushered to the front to pay and be told that I was done for the day. The lady at the front desk, who never once smiled when I arrived or was checking out, said I was only scheduled for a massage. I was not offered an apology for the miscommunication, nor was I offered a chance to reschedule for the other parts of the package I thought I was getting. I was simply told it was $70 and they needed the gift card to charge it.

Granted, I am not your typical spa client as I could not normally afford such luxuries, however, this gift card was given to me by my volunteers who wanted to treat me to an afternoon of pampering. I'm really more saddened than anything as I had to completely reschedule my normal duties for today and get others to cover my jobs to arrange for this afternoon to myself. It is not something that is easily done, nor do I know when I will get the opportunity to try to again.

It is a disappointment that this was my first and probably last experience with the spa, but maybe these places aren't made for simple folk like me who prefer common courtesies. My hands and feet are rough and calloused from hard work and should probably stay that way. At least I know it is appreciated by those for whom I work.

No comments: