Thursday, October 25, 2007

When You are Failed by Your Role Models

For as long as I can remember growing up on Tybee, Jack Kingston has always been our congressional representative. He's done so much for us, making sure our beaches survive with beach renourishment and working to keep our military bases open. He's good with the people, participating in local festivals, even donning a crazy costume as the Tybee Island Beach Bum King last year. Twice in my life he's presented me with honors, first my sophomore high school year when I won the national Propellor Club essay contest, and last year when Coastal Pet Rescue was named a Purina Rally to Rescue Ambassador of Excellence. I've always thought of Jack as a great friend of the community, but was deeply saddened when I found that he isn't much of a friend to animals.

Two months ago, I attended a day-long workshop by the Georgia Legal Professionals for Animals on Prosecuting Animal Cruelty. In one of the sessions, they talked about the need for animal welfare individuals to communicate with their representatives about the need for legislation to prevent incidents like the Michael Vick case. They then proceeded to tell us how our representatives voted for the national legislation Bush signed into law earlier this year... and Jack Kingston voted against. I was stunned. But today, for whatever reason, maybe because of my recent cases with Rusty and Lady and three Pitbull puppies, that I couldn't remain silent anymore. So, I decided to email Jack through his website. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but my hope is that Jack Kingston and other representatives remember that although the pets they vote against protecting can't vote, the people who do care about them can.


Dear Congressman Kingston,

I have wrestled for the last two months about contacting you, but I now feel it is my duty to do so to make informed voting decisions.

Two months ago, I attended a day-long workshop on St. Simon's on Prosecuting Animal Cruelty. I was shocked when I found that you did not vote in support of national legislation to ban this abomination. Are you aware of the other illegal activities that accompany dogfighting, such as illegal gambling, drugs and interpersonal and gang violence? I have looked to you as a role model since our St. Michael's class trip to see you in DC in 1993. I had always thought of you as a person who wants to see greatness for his community. I was even greatly honored when you recognized my efforts for the animal welfare community in Savannah last year by having a flag flown for Coastal Pet Rescue. So why would you not support harsher penalties and ending these cruel sports?

Maybe dogs can't vote, but there are thousands of animal lovers in your district who can. I have already spoken at Magnolia Manor in Richmond Hill on the topic of dogfighting and your lack of support for the national bill. I have also spoken in smaller groups on Tybee about my displeasure. As the island residents regularly support my organization, I felt they should also know where their representatives stood in support of similar issues.

I would appreciate a response with your reasons for not supporting this legislation. I sincerely hope it is not a trend that will continue.

No comments: