Thursday, March 12, 2009

Georgia's First Day with the Media

There's no question how much I love dogs, particularly my rescue dogs. So when Georgia came to me, it became apparent she had so much to teach people. So I scheduled an appearance with WJCL to appear with her on their morning show. Being that I'm not a morning person, this is a big deal for me, meaning I'm up at 5 am. Sure, if you're military, that's nothing, but I have Tybee Bum in my blood, and I despise being up before the sun. Georgia, on the other hand, had no problem whatsoever getting up and going for a car ride. She's finally learned to get herself in and out of the rescue mobile without my assistance. She always sits happily just behind my seat, her head resting as close to my shoulder as possible.

The drive in was very peaceful, though odd as I could still see the full moon. I wasn't 100% sure how she would react to a TV studio, but she was a natural. Through our walks each day, Georgia has learned to love the attention of other people. Since the WJCL set is in transition, I would have to sit at the anchor desk while Lyndy held her beneath us. I was in her line of sight the entire time, but it didn't matter. The cameras, the lights, nothing phased her so long as she had someone's hand on her making her feel special.

She seemed a little reluctant to leave, already feeling like a star. We drove home and arrived in time enough for me to take a nap before having to get up and go into the office. Georgia would have a good long rest before her next media appearance that evening.

We arrived at JF Gregory right around six. Georgia knows this place well, and immediately started pulling me like a sled towards the path we walk. She braved the swarms of gnats to roll around in the grass while the photographer from the South Magazine snapped shot after shot. At the end of the hour, we walked to a different part of the park, where Georgia drew the attention of a very famous dog.

Barley, the Budweiser Dalmation, decided he had found a new playmate. Georgia did not know what to think. We watched as this dog ran into the middle of our photo shoot, stared at Georgia, then flopped over onto his back and barked. Georgia just stood there. We have worked at getting her comfortable around other dogs at the ranch, but she hasn't once played. Barley didn't know this. He would jump up, bark, run around Georgia, then flop down on the ground again and wait for her to do something back. About the eighth time, she finally took her paw and swatted at his snout. Barley took it as a sign that she was ready to play. He ran around her, sniffing, play biting her leg, till she finally gave in and did something back. For about ten minutes we watched Georgia interact with Barley as if reconnecting with a long-lost friend. I was so proud, I almost cried. Nothing could make me happier than seeing her smile.

No comments: