Sunday, December 28, 2008

Breaking the Christmas Streak

Ever since 1996, my Christmases have been anything but happy times for me. That year, I lost my grandfather on the 13th. I remember every moment of that day so vividly. I was leaving to go to school. My dad was driving me because I was going to be going to UGA for the School Art Symposium, where my artwork had been accepted. I was walking down the front steps when he came behind me and said, "Your mom just called. Your grandfather passed. We'll be going to Atlanta when you get back." Anyone who knows my dad knows he has the same straight face all the time. I've never seen my dad cry in my life. He's always been a solid rock through anything and everything that ever faced our family. I take after him for the most part, but do a lot of crying in private. Anyhow, after Pawpa passed, Christmas was never the same. Every December, something happened to me or a member of my family that just made Christmas time stink. My junior year of college, I decided to stop going to north Georgia with my parents for Christmas. I was more content to just ride it out alone. But a couple years ago I went, and on Christmas Eve, we buried my brother's father (we have same mom but different dads). It was the first Christmas I had seen my entire family.

This December started out just like all the other Decembers. I came down with walking pneumonia. The rescue was broke. I was broke and had no idea how I was going to pay all the medical bills which I found out my insurance wasn't covering. My freelance jobs had run out. Then my truck battery died... at 10 pm, as I was leaving to go get canned puppy food and puppy pads. At least it died in the driveway so I could stay warm in the house while I waited for my roadside assistance to come. But then something strange happened... the tow truck guy saw how distressed I was and at 11 pm offered to follow me to Wal-Mart where I could buy a battery and he'd replace it for me for free. It was so cold that night, of course, I am a wuss about cold most anytime. But the fact that someone was going out of their way to help me out, really changed my whole mood. I was so incredibly thankful to him. And from there, things started to get a little better: I had 8 adoptions in one weekend, picked up a freelance job, got well, and had beautiful, warm weather to give me more time outside, which I love. I even had volunteers from the Savannah Jewish Federation's Trading Places on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day who gave me a big break from taking care of the dogs two nights in a row and left us donations as well. But my big surprise came on Christmas Day.

My parents are very patient people. I can't imagine how disappointed they must have been to work so hard to keep me in Catholic schools for 12 years to see me grow up and not follow the path they thought. My mom really expected me to go corporate, like my brother did. He's been with the same company (though they've changed names umpteen times) since I was in fifth grade. My dad wanted me to follow through with my acceptance to the Coast Guard Academy. But I did neither. I sorta made my path as I went. I never expected that putting myself through college would land me running an animal rescue. It started as a hobby and grew into something so much more, but it's keep me from getting a higher paying job, most likely away from Savannah, and living in a nice, big home like my siblings all have or driving a fancy car. Maybe it's because I was the only child raised on Tybee that I don't have a materialistic drive. I'm content with making just enough money to get by every month (ok, so a bit more than that wouldn't hurt). But come on, what did they expect of me? I got to spend a lot of years without heat, air conditioning and hot water. I've worked since I was 13. If nothing else, my parents instilled in me a very strong work ethic and the drive to never do anything halfway.

So anyhow, back to why this Christmas was great. The weekend before, there were no gifts under my tree. Heck, I had been so sick I hadn't bothered to decorate the tree, but at least it was fiber optic so it had some color to it. My friend, Jeremy, left me a big, beautifully wrapped box, and my parents came and dropped off the gifts they got me before they headed out of town. Now my tree looked a little less bare. I even opened up my door one morning to find a box from a foster parent, and my good friends Heather and Todd left me a card in my tree. And they were all such wonderful surprises. My parents got me four things I asked for my animal rescue work: steel toe boots, cargo pants, a weather radio, and emergency roadside kit. But one gift they gave me that I didn't ask for: a GPS system. I was so excited! I called my mom that morning and nearly screamed. She told me it was something she and my dad decided I needed for all the places I drive for the rescue. That really meant so much to me. The fact that they understand where my heart is made my Christmas so much more special. Then of course there was the lunchtime cookout with Betty and Charles and my little Sparky, followed by a fabulous dinner with two couples from the rescue, the people who have become my extended family.

So, all these years later, I've once again found the spirit of Christmas. I am truly blessed to have good friends, parents who support me, and on occasions, strangers who will give a helping hand. So here's looking forward to next Christmas!

No comments: