Sunday, January 27, 2008

Because Who You Are Matters

This morning, I stumbled upon an excellent PR blog by Tiffany Monhollon. Her topic intrigued me, so I borrowed it to make my own post. Normally, I'd be adverse to this type of thing as I get dozens of those "surveys" through the MySpace bulletins each week. But I thought I could have some fun with it, so here it is: 8 Crazy Things for 2008:

1. Growing up, I wanted to be a dolphin trainer at Sea World. Maybe it isn't that far-fetched, seeing as how my family has been doing dolphin tours since the early 90s. At Girl Scout camp, I even had mail addressed to Lisa "Dolphin." But it didn't pan out... I didn't do well in Biology in high school, particularly with dissection, so I went the communications route instead.

2. I used to spend part of my summers in Boston in middle school. Most people who know me hear me say, "I'll never move north of the Macon-Dixon line." I have an extreme dislike for cold weather, so if I ever move, it will be south or west. My dad's sister and her family lived in Bedford, so I used to go spend two weeks up there with them. I can remember my cousin's friends making fun of the way I talk and always asking for a "Coke" instead of a "pop." My aunt taught me how to do arts and crafts, and I tried my hardest to continue that over the years. She also made the best Oreo cookie pie.

3. I'm the youngest of four siblings, they all being 14 and 11 years older than me. I've been an aunt since I was in 3rd grade, and now have six nephews in total, ages 7 to 20.

4. My favorite TV shows growing up were Murphy Brown and Cheers. I wanted to be a journalist by the time I got to high school, and I had a crush on Woody Harrelson.

5. I own every Disney animated film up to 2003, including Song of the South. I love cartoons, and my favorite is The Lion King. My junior year of high school, I wrote a thesis paper correlating The Lion King to Hamlet.

6. My favorite book of all time is Kate Chopin's The Awakening. I read it for the first time in sixth grade for school, then had to read it again in high school and again in college for my Southern Literature course. I turned in my high school paper and got an A in the class as it was the same book I had used for my Senior AP project. I'm all about recycling.

7. I consider my maternal grandfather my ideal role model. I spent a great deal of time with him growing up. He was a man who always kept his family first as he took care of me when my parents were working as well as raising two of my cousins. He never asked for anything in return, and was never hesitant to teach me a lesson. I can still remember being sent to the tree to fetch my own switch, but I can tell you, I didn't have to do it often... I was a quick learner.

8. The person I most want to meet is Jimmy Buffett. Probably not new information to most of you who know me. I've been listening to his music since I was a young child. The first song I learned to sing in the car was A Pirate Looks at 40. I can still remember sitting in the front seat with my mom and dad, the music playing on the tape, and my dad actually smiling as I sang along. One of my favorite memories.

So, there's my 8 random facts about Lisa. Hopefully, you're able to see there's more to me than just the crazy pet lady.

No comments: